It’s easier to move forward when we see all sides. So, let’s dive in.

Asset 1
There must be something better than pipelines.

This is a commonly held view. There are other options, including truck or train. However, pipelines are proven to be the safest way to move oil and natural gas.

The challenge is the amount of energy required for life in Canada for use in cars, travel by aircraft, heating, cooking, agriculture, fishing fleets, ferries and so much more. Canadians use a lot of energy.

For example, it would take 15,000 tanker trucks to move the same amount of oil Canadian pipelines deliver daily, or a train 6,300 rail cars long. Both consume far more energy to operate than pipelines. And for the 16.1 billion cubic feet of lower-carbon natural gas Canada ships daily, pipelines are still the most viable option. (Source: Natural Resources Canada)

Pipelines are simply the best way to get Canadians the energy they need.

Tell me more about pipelines I have a question about pipelines
Pipelines are the safest way to transport the energy we need.

In 2017, Canada’s 118,000-kilometre network of transmission pipelines moved 97% of Canada’s natural gas and onshore crude oil production to the people who need it (the other 3% was rail or truck).

Out of 1.4 billion barrels of oil transported by Canadian Energy Pipeline Association (CEPA) members, 51 barrels were spilled and couldn’t be recovered. These remaining barrels dissipate through volatilization (similar to evaporation) and other natural processes.

No amount spilled is acceptable, which is why the industry continuously works to improve pipeline safety and performance.

CEPA members use the latest technology to deliver Canada’s oil and natural gas energy in the safest, most responsible way. And they continuously work together to improve what are already among the highest safety standards, and best safety records, in the world.

Tell me more about pipelines I have a question about pipelines

Increasing world population and the growing global economy mean energy demand is rising. While solar and wind energy production is rising, forecasts indicate oil and natural gas could still provide the majority of the world’s energy in 2040.

Pipelines, and pipeline operators, remain a vital part of the evolving energy ecosystem Canada and the world depend on.

World energy demand is growing.

Demand for oil and natural gas to meet the world’s needs will also grow.

Petroleum supply in Canada is exceeding pipeline capacity.

Canada is well positioned to meet the world’s need for responsibly produced energy.

Tell me more about pipelines I have a question about pipelines
Asset 1 Asset 1

10
reasons your pipelines are important to your future.

Yes, they are your pipelines. They transport Canada’s natural resources that you and all other Canadians count on.

The energy you need to live and thrive

Pipelines safely transport the oil and natural gas Canadians count on for heating, cooking, transporting goods, growing food and so much more.

Learn More

The quality of life you enjoy in Canada

Pipelines generate enormous economic benefits that you and every other Canadian count on – close to $1 trillion contributed to Canada’s GDP since 2005 – for services like health care and education.

Learn More

Technology and innovation that lead the world

Thousands of engineers and environmental experts work together to ensure Canada’s pipeline infrastructure is among the very best in the world.

Learn More

Built and operated to the highest standards

Among the strictest safety and environmental standards in the world.

Learn More

Keeping Canada strong

All Canadians can be secure in the knowledge that the energy they need to survive and thrive will always be available.

Learn More

Progressive energy system

An energy ecosystem that evolves through technology and innovation to embrace smart options and address environmental and social issues.

Learn More

Employing thousands of Canadians

Providing valuable careers in communities across Canada, as well as supporting 900,000 jobs in the energy industry and the livelihoods of millions of Canadians.

Learn More

World leader in energy

Canada is respected worldwide for our responsibly produced energy.

Learn More

Built the Canadian way

The story is uniquely Canadian. Transmission pipeline operators do not compete on safety, but instead work together to build a safe, smart and secure energy future for Canada.

Learn More

Cleaner energy for the world

Canada’s natural gas is helping to replace higher-carbon energy sources and fuel a lower-carbon future.

Learn More